FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE : Wednesday, November 26, 2014
CONTACT: Sara Rabern (605)773-3215
Attorney General Jackley Provides Holiday Shopping Tips
PIERRE, S.D – The holiday shopping season begins earlier each year and this year is no exception with the lure of pre-Black Friday deals and advertisements filled with one-of-a kind specials. The Attorney General’s Consumer Protection Division is again encouraging consumers to shop with care this holiday season. Jackley warns that during the busiest season of the year it is especially important to be watchful and avoid those common shopping mistakes.
Tips on Holiday Shopping:
• Check the refund and return policies for restrictions and exceptions
• When buying gift cards, check for fees and expiration dates that apply
• Read the fine print
• Double check delivery dates
• Review warranties
• Compare prices
• Check shipping and handling fees
Along with those traditional shopping methods consumers also need to proceed with caution when dealing with online retailers.
Online Shopping Tips:
• Consumers using the internet to find the perfect gift should avoid using email links. These links can appear to be from a known business, when in fact they are coming from a different company altogether
• Use credit cards for online purchases. If there is a problem with the purchase it is much easier to dispute the charges
• Be leery of businesses who are offering deep discounts. If it sounds too good to true, then it likely is, so shop with reputable sellers
Smartphone Shopping Tips:
• Be sure your computer and mobile devices are current with all software updates
• Be caution of social media scams including fake Twitter and Facebook pages. Stick to the sites that you are familiar with and do not click on unfamiliar links
• Do your homework on price comparison apps. There are many malicious mobile apps just ready to be downloaded
• Do not download apps from unknown sources
If you have any additional questions, contact the Attorney General’s Consumer Protection Office at 1-800-300-1986 or email@example.com.