Submitting a Complaint

To file a consumer complaint with the Attorney General's Office, go to the online complaint form. Fill out the form carefully and submit it. You will receive (via email) a copy of the information you submit. Be sure to fax or mail relevant documents to the Consumer Protection Division.

If you like, the form is also available in PDF format, which you can download, fill out, then mail or fax to us.

Printed complaint forms/relevant documents can be sent to:
Division of Consumer Protection
1302 E Hwy 14 Ste 3
Pierre SD  57501

If you would like a form mailed to you, call 1-800-300-1986 (in-state) or 1-605-773-6585 for the hearing impaired.