Criminal Intelligence Unit
The DCI operates a Criminal Intelligence Unit that assists local, state and federal government by collecting, analyzing, and disseminating criminal intelligence information to support criminal investigations.
The Intelligence Unit:
- Serves as the manager and the database center for the SD Law Enforcement Information Network (LEIN).
- Provides fast, accurate criminal statistical data to serve the needs of investigators and policy makers, via criminal analysts
- Is the liaison for a variety of federal services available to law enforcement to support them in their duties. These include:
- Interpol, which assists in crimes that cross international borders
- Financial Crimes Enforcement Network (FinCEN) , which assists in fighting white collar financial crime
- El Paso Intelligence Center (EPIC) , which assists in crimes involving illegal drug, weapon, and alien smuggling into the United States
- Violent Criminal Apprehension Program (ViCAP) , a program of the FBI which collects information on homicides that may be serial
- National Center for Missing and Exploited Children (NCMEC), which assists in crimes involving missing and exploited children
- Serves as the statewide Missing Persons Clearinghouse.
- LEADS (Lead Evaluation Assignment Dissemination System) PDF form