State and FBI Background Check
South Dakota Requirements for State and FBI Background checks:
This type of background requires legislation and includes but is not limited to school employment, Board of Nursing, Board of Bar Examiners, Division of Banking and Municipalities, etc.
- A special FBI applicant fingerprint card and a state applicant fingerprint card, both required for a background and obtained from the requesting agency. The FBI fingerprint card will have a preprinted ORI, which has been assigned by the FBI and will be found in the contributor block on the card. The reason for fingerprinting should indicate that the search is for employment per its SDCL.
- These fingerprint cards must be taken to the individual's law enforcement agency (Police Department or Sheriff's Office) to be printed. There may be an additional charge by these agencies to cover the cost of fingerprinting.
- All necessary information including name, date of birth, gender and social security must be provided on both fingerprint cards as the minimum requirements. On the back of the DCI card is an authorization and release form. This must be completed and signed for the fingerprint cards to be processed. Incomplete requests will be returned to requestor. Please do NOT fold the fingerprint card when mailing them.
- Total payment of $43.25 check or money order must be submitted with each request to cover the costs of both the state and federal background check.
- Upon receipt of all necessary information, fingerprints, signed authorization and release and the required fee, the DCI will forward the request to the FBI and conduct a state criminal history search. If no record is found based on the fingerprint, name and date of birth search, a response sheet will be returned. If the search reveals a match with an arrest record in the FBI files or state search, a copy of the criminal history record will be returned. Fingerprint cards will be destroyed and will not be returned with the responses.
Authorization and Release Form