The Identification Section (ID) serves as central repository for criminal history records ( SDCL 23-3-16 and 23-5-2 ) in South Dakota and has the following major responsibilities:
- Process, categorize, and store all criminal fingerprint images
- Manage computerized information systems which index criminal justice information:
The ID section also:
- Maintains over 230,000 criminal record subjects at the present time.
- Processes approximately 30,000 arrest incidents yearly, of which 60% are repeat offenders.
- Conducts more than 21,500 civil applicant background checks annually.
Frequently Asked Questions about Background Checks
Frequently Asked Questions about the Sex Offender Registry