Continuing Education and Advanced Training
To maintain a basic certification, a South Dakota law enforcement officer must complete 40 hours of training in a two-year period.
The continuing education hours are calculated on a calendar year basis. Each officer must have 40 hours of continuing education to Law Enforcement Training during the following time frames:
- January 1, 2019 - December 31, 2020
- January 1, 2021 - December 31, 2022
- January 1, 2023 - December 31, 2021
The training must be in the following areas, in order to meet the requirements:
- Annual firearms requalification on a certified shooting course with a passing score of at least 75 percent;
- Completion of courses sponsored by Law Enforcement Training or courses approved and documented by the law enforcement's agency in the subject areas of: program administration; police practices and procedures; legal aspects; human behavior; and domestic violence.
In addition, a law enforcement officer must attend training on the following issues pertaining to domestic abuse: enforcement of criminal laws in domestic abuse situations; availability of community resources; and protection of the victim. After initial training, an officer shall attend further training at least once every four years.