Attorney General Long Announces $5 Million Settlement with DISH Network
PIERRE, S.D.- DISH Network, L.L.C. will pay $5,991,000 to settle consumer protection allegations with attorneys general in 46 states. The states alleged the satellite TV provider and its third-party retailers engaged in deceptive and unfair sales practices. The company denied any wrongdoing.
In addition to the $5.9 million, DISH Network agreed to pay restitution to consumers and to enter into an agreement that limits how it can market services in the future.
The settlement resolves the states’ allegations including that DISH Network:
- Refused to accept responsibility for the misconduct of its third-party retailers and installers;
- Made telemarketing calls to consumers in violation of do-not-call rules;
- Failed to disclose all terms and conditions of their customer agreements, including the availability of rebates, credits and free offers;
- Did not disclose that purchased or leased equipment was previously used and/or refurbished;
- Made reference to competitors’ price offers when the goods or services being compared were materially different; and
- Charged customer credit cards and debited bank accounts without providing adequate notice and obtaining appropriate authorization.
Unresolved complaints sent to Dish Network or their State Attorney General since January 1, 2004 are eligible for the restitution program. Dish Network will notify consumers that they are eligible for the restitution program by sending a claims notice to those consumers. Additionally, consumers can file a complaint with Dish Network, their state Attorney General, state consumer office, or with the BBB by December 14, 2009 to be considered for the restitution program as long as the complaint is about activity that took place within the last 2 years. Consumers who are not satisfied with the company’s offer of restitution may choose to file a claim to be decided by a third-party claims administrator. Questions or complaints regarding the refund process can be addressed to: DISH Network, L.L.C., Dispute Resolution Team, P.O. Box 9040, Littleton, CO 80120 or by e-mail at CEO@dishnetwork.com