Attorney General Headshot

Attorney General Marty Jackley

Attorney General Seal

Attorney General’s Medicaid Fraud Control Unit Leads Effort To Recoup $477,000 In Medicaid, Veterans Overpayments

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: Friday, Oct. 13, 2023

Contact: Tony Mangan, Communications Director, 605-773-6878

PIERRE, S.D. – South Dakota Attorney General Marty Jackley has announced that the office’s Medicaid Fraud Control Unit has recouped more than $477,000 in Medicaid and Veterans Affairs overpayments which has led to the indictment of one person in the theft of those funds.

“This extensive civil and criminal investigation has been the result of the excellent work by local, state and federal agencies and law enforcement,” said Attorney General Jackley. “The important thing is stolen taxpayer money has been recovered.”

The overpayments occurred at the Adult Day Center of the Black Hills, which provides daytime care and activities for adults with disabilities. Jessica Scott, a former board member of the Adult Day Center, is accused of altering bill documents which resulted in the overpayment of funds from the South Dakota Medicaid Program, South Dakota Department of Veterans Affairs, and the South Dakota Department of Human Services.

Scott has been indicted on charges of Grand Theft, Submitting False Claims to Medicaid, and Perjury. She is presumed innocent under the U. S. Constitution.

“Individuals who submit fraudulent claims and false statements to federally funded programs put health care benefits for everyone at risk,” said Curt L. Muller, Special Agent in Charge with the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Office of Inspector General (HHS-OIG), which helped with the investigation. "We are committed to working with our partner agencies to hold accountable those suspected of defrauding Medicaid and other government programs.”


Recovered funds will be divided between the state Department of Veterans Affairs, the state Department of Social Services’ Medical Services program, and the state Department of Human Services.


“We are fortunate that Jes Scott’s actions have not interrupted the incredibly important services we provide to families in our community,” said Melanie Barclay, executive director of the Adult Day Center of the Black Hills. “Throughout the past year, we have worked very hard to strengthen our relationships with the State of South Dakota as well as the Veterans Administration. Our caregivers and guests depend on us for socialization opportunities, personal cares, community activities and respite, and we are committed to work tirelessly to continue to provide care.”

The South Dakota Medicaid Fraud Control Unit receives 75 percent of its funding from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services under a grant award totaling $615,068 for Federal Fiscal year FY 2024.  The remaining 25 percent, totaling $205,019 for FY 2024, is funded by the state of South Dakota.