Background Checks through US Mail
South Dakota Requirements for State ONLY Background Checks through US mail:
This includes but is not limited to some employment and self background checks depending on the requirements.
- A state applicant fingerprint card must be obtained from the DCI. All necessary supplies are available through the DCI Identification Section at no cost by filling out the Fingerprint Card Order Form.
- This fingerprint card must be completed to include the applicant's name, date of birth, gender and social security number as the minimum requirements for demographic information. Incomplete requests will be returned to requestor.
- The authorization and release form printed on the back of the card or found following this link, must be completely filled out and signed. Be sure to include the correct address to which the response should be sent.
- The fingerprint card must also include a fully rolled set of fingerprints per SDCL 23-5-12.
- The individual must take the fingerprint card to his/her local law enforcement agency (Police Department or Sheriff's Office) to be printed. There may be an additional charge by these agencies to cover the cost of fingerprinting.
- A check or money order for $26.75 must be sent along with the fingerprint card and signed authorization. Please do not send cash. Please do NOT fold the fingerprint card when mailing them.
- Upon receipt of all necessary information, fingerprints, signed authorization and fee, the DCI will conduct a state search and supply a copy of any criminal history that is found to the address indicated, or a letter stating that there is no criminal history. These results do not include federal charges, juvenile offenses (unless charged as an adult), sealed records, minor traffic violations or out of state information. Fingerprint cards will be destroyed and will not be returned with the responses.
- Authorization and Release Form
South Dakota Requirements for State and FBI Background checks:
This type of background requires state legislation and includes but is not limited to school employment, Board of Nursing, Board of Bar Examiners, Division of Banking and Municipalities, etc.
- A special FBI applicant fingerprint card and a state applicant fingerprint card, both required for a background and obtained from the requesting agency. The FBI fingerprint card will have a preprinted ORI, which has been assigned by the FBI and will be found in the contributor block on the card. The reason for fingerprinting should indicate that the search is for employment per its SDCL.
- These fingerprint cards must be taken to the individual's law enforcement agency (Police Department or Sheriff's Office) to be printed. There may be an additional charge by these agencies to cover the cost of fingerprinting.
- All necessary information including name, date of birth, gender and social security must be provided on both fingerprint cards as the minimum requirements. On the back of the DCI card is an authorization and release form. This must be completed and signed for the fingerprint cards to be processed. Incomplete requests will be returned to requestor. Please do NOT fold the fingerprint card when mailing them.
- Total payment of $43.25 check or money order must be submitted with each request to cover the costs of both the state and federal background check.
- Upon receipt of all necessary information, fingerprints, signed authorization and release and the required fee, the DCI will forward the request to the FBI and conduct a state criminal history search. If no record is found based on the fingerprint, name and date of birth search, a response sheet will be returned. If the search reveals a match with an arrest record in the FBI files or state search, a copy of the criminal history record will be returned. Fingerprint cards will be destroyed and will not be returned with the responses.